Common Question: What scan tool interface should I get that'll successfully connect my car, laptop and TOAD® OBD software?
Answer: 99% of world's OBD2 compliant vehicles will work on ELM327 cable/Bluetooth as seen below:
- Both devices are 100% compatible with: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 (32/64-bit).
- Which version to get? Whichever you prefer. Otherwise they both work the same.
Where to purchase ELM327 USB cable (or) Bluetooth Scan Tool?
- Get ELM327 connector from us. (Global shipping)
- Go to eBay/Amazon and search for: elm327 usb 1.4
- For Bluetooth version, go to eBay/Amazon and search for: elm327 bluetooth
Other interfaces that'll work:
- ElmScan 5
- Autotap AT1, AT2, AT3, AT123 (v2.x)
- VIA LDV100, LDV200, LDV300, LDV123
- Multiplex Engineering T16
- ELM320, ELM322, ELM323 (v2.x)
- ELM327 (all versions)
- Any SAE-J2534 compliant OBD-II interface.
Cable type for Australian cars made/imported before 1 Jan, 2006?
- If your AU/NZ car is made/imported BEFORE 1 Jan, 2006 — then please read this article first. (Scroll to Australia)
- If your AU/NZ car is made/imported AFTER 1 Jan, 2006 — then above ELM USB cable/Bluetooth will work.
Cable type for Australian Holden cars?
- If your AU Holden is made/imported BEFORE 1 Jan, 2006 — then get ALDL cable. Also, see verify here if your Holden is supported with TOAD software.
- If your AU Holden is made/imported BEFORE 1 Jan, 2006 — then above ELM USB cable/Bluetooth will work.
Will ELM327 interface fit in my cars OBD port/socket?
Just in case you want to verify that your vehicles port will fit above ELM interface adapter — please find the cars OBD port. Its under your steering wheel or instrument cluster or near transmission. If you can't find the port, search your car model here.
Port will look similar to below pic:
16 pins (8-top, 8-bottom)
Cable type for old OBD-1 Vehicles?
Firstly, check if your car is found in this OBD-1 vehicle list. Do a phrase search on that page for your car model.
If you can find your EXACT car model, then get ALDL cable (which supports OBD1 cars and works with our TOAD® software).